Frequently Asked Questions
1) Are there any application fees or cost?
Currently, all fees associated with provisional applications, as well as fees for upgrading to full certification, are being funded by the New York State Office of Mental Health.
2) Can I get certified if I don't have a copy of my high school diploma?
All candidates must provide documentation of their high school diploma or equivalent (GED) in order to become certified.
3) How long does it take to become certified?
Typically, it takes 4 to 8 weeks to become certified. Once you submit your application, you will receive confirmation that your application has been received.
If your application meets all standards you will receive confirmation within 2 to 4 weeks that your application has been forwarded to NYPSCB for review and approval.
4) Who serves on the NYPSCB?
The members of the NYPSCB are appointed by the NYS Office of Mental Health to represent the Peer Specialist community. The members have diverse backgrounds and possess extensive expertise in many facets of peer support and mental health services.
5) Is my certification status private and confidential?
Certification with the NYPSCB is public and your certification status will be publicly available.
6) Can I submit my letters of reference with my application?
Your letters of recommendation should be submitted directly to the NYPSCB office from your Refernce Authors.
7) I want to get certified, but I need help with the application process - What do I do next?
For assistance with the application process, email email@example.com